Search Knowledge Base by Keyword
Humour, for the Health of it!
Fun Facts About Laughter:
- Laughter strengthens the immune system and increases resistance to disease by activating the cells which destroy invading micro-organisms. Invading micro-organisms make us sick. Happy people get less sick!
- Laughter decreases levels of the stress hormone, cortisol, which weakens the immune system.
- Laughter releases endorphins, the body’s natural opiates.
- Laughter relieves pain and strengthens our emotional response to pain.
- Laughter is like internal jogging. The heart, lungs, pancreas, liver, spleen, stomach, and intestines are all stimulated by laughter!
- The effects of laughter are positive, but temporary. We need to laugh often! 15 minutes of daily laughter has proven to have beneficial physiological effects on our bodies.
- People who enjoy and use humour often are less likely to suffer fatigue, tension, anger, depression, or confusion when confronted with stressful events.
- Hostility, irritability, explosiveness, competitiveness, and impatience are found to be excellent predictors of coronary heart disease.
Beware of “Negative Humour.” Cynicism, sarcasm and ridicule have damaging effects on both the giver and the receiver.
Anger and humour cannot co-exist. Seeing the humour in a bad situation can force away the negative physiological effects of anger and frustration.
A sense of humour gives you the power to reframe your situation. You buy time and a more relaxed mind-set with which to tackle your problem. Laughter can free us to consider problems with a new, creative perspective.
You have the power to make yourself happy, so seek out more humour in your life.
Choose to see the humour in stressful situations. It will add years to your life and life to your years.
Remember: (S)He who laughs, LASTS!