Note to Potential Participants: This is a hands-on or experiential course with lots of work in interviewing dyads followed by discussions and integrations into your professional practices.
This introductory 1-day course provides a meaningful overview of MI using The Monarch System’s unique approach which integrates MI with other impactful and evidence-based behaviour change practices such as coaching methods and key elements of behaviour change theories/applications. Most importantly, we will explore and help you to acquire applied techniques to use with your clients in your day-to-day contacts. You will learn how to build motivation and transition that enhanced motivation into a strengthened and real commitment to behaviour changes. We will teach you different ways to use such elements as presence, competence views, compelling questions, reflective listening, readiness to change and change talk, tagging values onto desired behaviour changes, and moving with apparent-resistance in service of your clients’ needs for long- term goal setting and commitment to change.
At the end of the course, participants will be better able to:
- Incorporate a repertoire of motivational skills into their professional toolbox;
- Build motivation and commitment with their clients;
- Collaborate with more engaged patients to design a working partnership for both shifting and managing their behaviours;
- Work with people’s apparent resistance toward improved motivation re specific goals;
- Reduce professional burnout by learning to incorporate motivational interviewing skills into their work;
- Facilitate people’s real and authentic commitment to making important, short- and especially long-term behaviour changes.
Audience: Open to all healthcare professionals
Hours: 9am-4pm. Registration begins 15 minutes prior to the start time