Accounting for nearly 2 million doctor visits per year, countless men experience pain ‘down below’ with little to no help. Endless specialists, traumatic medical experiences, failed treatments, pain with boners, and the incessant search for a cure leaves no time (or energy) for fun in the bedroom. Sexual health, intimacy, and pain are all intertwined which is no surprise that this clinical enigma leaves those with penises feeling socially isolated and hopeless. In this interactive course, you’ll gain an understanding of male pelvic anatomy (and how penises work), dive into the psychological impacts that pelvic pain has on men’s lives, recognize socio-cultural barriers that men face seeking pain care for their genitals, and tool up on knowledge and resources to help them reconnect with their sexual identity and pain-free pleasure!
- Define chronic male pelvic pain and potential causes thereof through a biopsychosocial lens
- Recognize common symptoms associated with male pelvic pain
- Understand basic male pelvic neuroanatomy and physiology including genitals
- Understand normal male sexual function
- Demonstrate appropriate sexual interviewing techniques during assessment
- Recognize common male sexual health issues
- Understand the biological & psychosocial impacts for men with pelvic pain and sexual health concerns
- Apply male-specific evaluation techniques for pelvic pain and sexual dysfunction
- Utilize appropriate outcome measures to understand the impact pelvic pain has on men’s lives
- Design psychologically informed treatment plan for pelvic pain and sexual health issues
- Improve access to pain care by recognizing sociocultural barriers around men’s health
- Apply current suggested approaches to better support men in their health
Open to all healthcare professionals
No prerequisites required although prior pelvic health knowledge would be helpful.
One-day live-online course from 10:00am-6:30pm EST
Registration begins 15 minutes prior to the start time.