As our social landscape changes, more people are feeling empowered and supported to live in a way that is congruent with their gender identity. Many of us as health care providers may not have had exposure or training on offering affirming care to gender diverse and trans folk. We, in our profession as pelvic physiotherapists, all want to provide the people we care for with a secure and supportive environment. This 1-day course will focus on specifics for providing care to trans and gender diverse people. It offers a safe space in which questions and discussions are welcomed. Topics covered will include: terms and language, an overview of the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) standards of care, the basics of hormone therapy, physiotherapy care pre and post operatively as well as specific considerations for such things as binding and tucking.
- Acquire verbal and written language that is inclusive and gender affirming
- Feel comfortable and competent with pelvic physiotherapy assessment of gender diverse and trans people
- Understand the various surgical options available and provide support for preparation and post operative healing
- Familiarize self with the WPATH standards of care
- Acquire an arsenal of resources and a network of health care workers looking to improve the care provided to this community
Prerequisites: We strongly recommend completion of level 1 which includes internal palpation based on the skills taught during this course. If registering for this course without completion of level 1, the skills taught must only be used within your scope of practice.
Delivery format: Live-online course
Date/Time: June 18 & 25, 2021 from 6:00pm-9:15pm ET (Toronto)