A comprehensive approach to gastrointestinal disorders including bowel and digestion dysfunction in the adult population. This approach allows for the consideration of management of multiple factors including nutritional, psychosocial, medical-surgical decisions, and physical therapy advanced examination/interventions. A multifactorial approach can often lead to improved management of this complex patient as a varied intervention approach may be required to be successful. A comprehensive understanding of the physiology and symptom manifestation can improve the ability to develop a comprehensive intervention strategy tailored to each patient’s needs throughout the episode of care.
This course will be layered with complex case presentations and discussions – participants are encouraged to bring their complex case questions to the course as well. The course will also include a one hour question/answer session with a Radiologist.
This course will be divided into three sections:
- Pre-course readings and videos
- Didactic information, case discussions and complete demonstrations of examination and interventions.
- Group labs – Participants will join the course instructor in small groups for a two hour online session to practice the labs for advanced exam and intervention techniques. Internal examination and treatment of the anorectal region is part of this course by video demonstration only. You will need to have someone to practise labs on during the additional small group virtual labs with the instructor (practise on other registrants is okay as long as government mandate allows). These will be scheduled within the two weeks following the online delivery of the course material.
Upon completion of this seminar, participants will be able to:
- Understand and define functional bowel disorders and bowel disease
- Recognize the latest evidence on the CNS and endocrine relationship to the GI system in adults
- Understand medical testing/imaging and interpretation of the result
- Implement a complete physiotherapy assessment for differential diagnosis of individuals with complex gastrointestinal disorders
- Identify medical “red flags” that warrant referral to the appropriate physician
- Recognize the behavioural components and the role of physical therapy interventions
- Apply assessment and treatment techniques to the patients with complex bowel disorders including dyssenergia
- Implement the balloon catheter to treat increased and decreased colorectal sensitivity, and dyssenergia.
This course is open to physiotherapists, naturopathic doctors, nurses, midwives and medical doctors.
Physiotherapists other Health care providers that have completed this course are able to perform an evaluation of the musculoskeletal aspect of the GI system (including a focus on the lower GI region), establish and create a treatment plan and it’s progression for GI dysfunction and movement impairments of the abdomen and pelvic region. The interventions will include manual therapy, movement/exercise, respiration and balloon catheter techniques to reduce dysfunction. They also have a foundational knowledge of the GI system including digestive disorders, basic nutritional contributions, abdominal and pelvic floor dysfunction, and psychosocial/behavioural contributions.
Prerequisites: Level 1 or equivalent to be approved. Level 2/3 highly recommended. Internal palpation is required.
- 6 hours pre-course readings
- Two day live online course delivery: Day 1: 10:00am-6:30pm Eastern Time (Toronto) / Day 2: 10:00am-4:30pm Eastern Time (Toronto)
- Two hour small group lab sessions to be scheduled with the course instructor within 2 weeks of the course.
This course is both lecture and discussion format and includes practical labs with anorectal palpation and the use of the rectal balloon catheter. This course will be delivered completely online and each participant is encouraged to have their camera on for the course and be fully participatory in the discussion sessions.
If registering for Improving PF Function – $225 + HST ($254.25 incl. HST)
If registering for GI & The Pelvic Floor – $545 + HST ($615.85 incl. HST)
If registering for both courses – $625 + HST ($706.25 incl. HST)