Motor imagery is needed to perform specific motor control exercises.
How do you assess it?
What influences motor imagery?
How do you rehab someone with very poor coordination? Or who just doesn’t get it?
The brain needs to know what is happening in the body. It gets this information from sensory feedback which are used to form virtual body maps. When this information is deficient the brain will change behaviour to get this information. Pain and other symptoms can be produced as a result.
Normal healthy coordination and body image are learned during the neurodevelopmental process. This includes primitive reflexes and key postural reflexes such as rolling and crawling. Good motor skill learning requires a good body image and motor imagery skill.
Efficient muscle contractions and movements depend on the ability to focus on the body part with motor imagery. Imagery is impaired in many common presentations (e.g. ADHD, DCD, atypical handedness). This is quickly modifiable with body image rehab.
You will leave with a clear understanding of how to assess and treat poor motor skill learning (including Motor Morons!), musculoskeletal body image deficits along with the appropriate subjective history, physical examination and outcome measures to use. The course will cover in detail appropriate starting points, appropriate progressions and problem solving strategies.
Numerous primitive reflexes and postural reflexes have a specific influence on the pelvic floor, sacro-iliac joint, trunk and breathing.
You will be able to successfully treat many patients you could not previously rehab.
The participant will be able to:
- Identify patients with poor motor skill learning & Body Image deficits
- Assess and rehabilitate motor imagery and body image deficits
- Be able to assess & rehab primitive & postural reflexes that influence pelvic floor rehab
- Develop a rehabilitation program for patients with poor motor skill learning, musculoskeletal body image disorders with appropriate starting points and progressions
What Will You Get From This Course That You May Not Already Have?
- Body Image
- We will show you how to assess for body Image disorders and rehabilitation strategies which can be applied to a wide range of other conditions and clinical presentations.
- Midline & Vestibular Patterning
- We have researched and developed the concept of midline as sensory system. Find out what it is and how to assess & rehab it.
- Motor Skill Learning – Improve Motor Control
- Not everyone can learn specific motor control exercises. We will show you how to quickly screen and how you can rehab this with specific sensory motor and neurodevelopmental rehab.
- Postural & Primitive Reflexes
- Immediately change movement patterns, help people who have poor motor skill learning
Regardless of how much knowledge you have you will benefit from knowing:
- Rehab of musculoskeletal body image & midline
- Primitive reflex inhibition & postural reflexes
- Screening who can learn specific motor control exercise and correct sub-classification
Audience: Open to all healthcare professionals. No prerequisites required.
Saturday: 8:30am-4:30pm / Sunday: 8:30am-4:30pm
Registration begins on the first day 15 minutes prior to the start time.