This is an online course offered through Embodia Academy. To register, please use this link:
This course will be focused on understanding the impact of trauma on physical and emotional health and the barriers trauma may present to patient’s experiences in healthcare, particularly pelvic physiotherapy. Over the course of the workshop we will explore the two most common types of trauma impacting pelvic health – childhood sexual abuse and birth trauma. We will explore how physiotherapists can apply a trauma informed lens to their practice resulting in greater awareness, understanding and sensitivity for patients identifying as survivors of trauma. Through this increased sensitivity physiotherapists will better support their patients and in turn observe higher levels of trust, adherence and cooperation from their client base.
Defining trauma – Overview
Signs and Symptoms
Understanding the impact of Trauma: The Shattered Worldview
Types of Trauma – Similarities and Differences
- Childhood Sexual Abuse
- Birth Trauma
Defining Childhood Sexual Abuse (CSA)
- How does CSA shape our identity, sense of self, and body image?
- How does CSA
Defining Birth Trauma
- How Does Birth Trauma affect Motherhood?
- Barriers to healing from trauma within the context of new motherhood
- Birth Trauma vs. Post Partum Mood Disorders: Similarities and Differences
- Trauma, Sex and Procreation
- Trauma and infertility
Why is a trauma lens important for pelvic health physiotherapists?
Disclosures of Trauma: Appropriate and Inappropriate Responses by Healthcare Workers
Trauma & Trust and the healthcare system
- What does a trauma survivor feel when disclosing?
Coping Techniques for patients
Creating a Trauma Informed Workplace – What can you or your employer do?
Vicarious Trauma: Impact of trauma on the healthcare worker
- What to do if you are triggered about a past personal experience?
- How to practice self care for yourself and others
- How to support colleagues facing vicarious trauma
Resources for Birth Trauma
Resources for CSA
This course is open to all health care professionals – physiotherapists, physiotherapy students, physiotherapy assistants, occupational therapists, chiropractors, naturopathic doctors, massage therapists, registered kinesiologists, medical doctors, nurses and midwives.
To register, please use this link: https://embodiaacademy.com/courses/89-trauma-the-pelvic-floor-pelvic-health-solutions