This two-day course will teach participants to assess and manage lactation related conditions of the breast. Women’s health goes beyond the pelvis and physiotherapists can contribute a unique set of skills to this field. Participants will learn about breast anatomy and physiology, stages of lactation, mechanical and chemical causes of inflammation, clinical problem solving, and intervention options.
- Understand the importance of breastfeeding for women, children, and society
- Outline the physiotherapist’s role in breastfeeding support
- Learn the physiology and anatomy of the lactating breast
- Develop clinical reasoning skills for the assessment of breastfeeding issues
- Practice a physiotherapy evaluation of the lactating breast
- Review clinical guidelines for mastitis and breast pain
- Establish an evidence-based, individualized treatment plan for breast conditions
- Practice physiotherapy techniques for treating the lactating breast
- Learn to measure outcomes and when to refer to other healthcare providers
- Review hygiene, protection, and safety for handling bodily fluids
No previous experience in breast health is required and registration is open to all physiotherapists. Labs include breast palpation and manual techniques.
Friday 8:30am-4:30pm / Saturday 8:30am-4:30pm
Registration begins on the first day 15 minutes prior to the start time.
This course is both lecture and lab format
No prerequisites required.
|April 5-6, 2019 – Maternal Factors||April 7-8, 2019 – Infant Factors|
|Early bird before 02/22/2019||Standard rate after 02/22/2019|
|If registering for Maternal Factors||$645 + HST ($728.85 incl. HST)||$715 + HST ($807.95 incl. HST)|
|If registering for Infant Factors||$645 + HST ($728.85 incl. HST)||$715 + HST ($807.95 incl. HST)|
|If registering for both courses||$895+ HST ($1011.35 incl. HST)||$970 + HST ($1096.10 incl. HST)|