This two-day course will teach participants to assess and manage lactation related conditions in the infant. It will combine principles of musculoskeletal and neurological physiotherapy such as neonatal reflexes. Participants will learn about normal positioning and latch, infant suck mechanics, musculoskeletal conditions of the neck and jaw, handling techniques, clinical problem solving, and intervention options.
- Learn the mechanics of infant latch and suck
- Develop clinical reasoning skills for the assessment of infant breastfeeding issues
- Understand conditions such as torticollis, plagiocephaly, tongue tie, lip tie, and palate anomalies
- Practice a physiotherapy evaluation of the breastfeeding infant
- Establish an evidence-based, individualized treatment plan
- Practice physiotherapy techniques for treating the breastfeeding infant
- Learn to measure outcomes and when to refer to other healthcare providers
- Review hygiene, protection, and safety for handling bodily fluids
No previous experience in pediatrics is required and registration is open to all physiotherapists. Labs include breast palpation and manual techniques.
Friday 8:30am-4:30pm / Saturday 8:30am-4:30pm
Registration begins on the first day 15 minutes prior to the start time.
This course is both lecture and lab format
No prerequisites required.
|April 5-6, 2019 – Maternal Factors||April 7-8, 2019 – Infant Factors|
|Early bird before 02/22/2019||Standard rate after 02/22/2019|
|If registering for Maternal Factors||$645 + HST ($728.85 incl. HST)||$715 + HST ($807.95 incl. HST)|
|If registering for Infant Factors||$645 + HST ($728.85 incl. HST)||$715 + HST ($807.95 incl. HST)|
|If registering for both courses||$895+ HST ($1011.35 incl. HST)||$970 + HST ($1096.10 incl. HST)|