The landscape in physical rehabilitation settings is changing rapidly as the research continues to identify numerous benefits of integrating psychosocial strategies into treatment. An individual’s beliefs, thoughts, and emotions will influence their physiology, their experience of their symptoms and how they engage in their unique rehabilitation process. Your effectiveness as a practitioner is determined largely by your capacity to intentionally identify and address these factors. However, these are skills that are not taught in most traditional physical rehabilitation programs. This experiential course is designed to address this gap, teaching practical Cognitive Behavioral Therapy strategies that can be integrated immediately into practice.
After completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Appreciate the evidence supporting the use of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy interventions in physical rehabilitation settings.
- Help patients to identify the various components of their experience with distressing symptoms (physical sensations, emotions, thoughts, and behaviors).
- Learn & practice some traditional CBT skills in order to:
- Identify distorted thinking patterns
- Introduce thought records to evaluate and shift distressing thoughts
- Develop exposure hierarchies to challenge avoidant behaviors rooted in anxiety and interfering with recovery
- Understand the rationale for 3rd wave approaches to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (i.e. Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Functional Analytic Psychotherapy, Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, and Behavioral Activation).
- Learn & practice specific strategies drawn from some of these 3rd wave approaches that you can integrate into practice. Strategies will include:
- Behavioral experiments
- Values-driven goal setting
- Obtain a framework for conceptualizing the private experiences (thoughts, emotions, physical sensations) and behaviors of patients in order to help guide the selection of psychosocial strategies
This course is open to all health care professionals – licensed physiotherapists, physiotherapy students, physiotherapy assistants, occupational therapists, chiropractors, naturopathic doctors, massage therapists, registered kinesiologists, medical doctors, nurses and midwives.
Two-day course from 8:30am-4:30pm
Registration begins on the first day 15 minutes prior to the start time.