1 in 8 women in Canada will be diagnosed with breast cancer but advances in cancer treatment have led to a 5-year survival rate that is close to 90%. This high survival rate means that many people are left with physical, emotional and psychosocial impairments that often go unrecognized and untreated long after the disease has been removed. Restoring health is more than removing disease and physical therapists are well positioned to help.
This course will teach evidence-based rehabilitation techniques through all stages of treatment including surgery, chemotherapy, radiation and endocrine therapies. Special focus will be on the practical learning of manual therapy and therapeutic exercise prescription.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the surgical and medical management of breast cancer.
- Describe basic anatomy of the breast, upper quadrant and lymphatic system.
- Understand the roadmap of physical therapy interventions before, during and after breast cancer treatment.
- Identify and treat using manual therapy techniques and exercises common musculoskeletal impairments during and after treatment including, axillary web syndrome, scar tissue, and swelling. Treat stage 0-1 subclinical lymphedema and decrease lifetime risk of clinical lymphedema.
- Learn individualized exercise programs to improve function, reduce impairments and to improve overall quality of life.
- Understand the effects of chemotherapy, cancer related fatigue, osteoporosis, cardio-toxicity and hormone changes on rehabilitative interventions.
- This course includes lecture, lab and case studies.
The lab will include touching over the pectoral, axilla and breast area. Participants must be comfortable and prepared to do the practical work. It is suggested that you wear a tank top and bra that can easily be removed. A shawl/small blanket can be used as a cover during lab.
Day 1: 8:30-5:00
Day 2 8:00-4:00
Registration begins on the first day 15 minutes prior to the start time.
Audience: Course is open to all health professionals